Monday, October 6, 2014

General Conference

Bonjour!

I am going to get right into your questions first:

Yes I did watch conference, I mean come on, its not like I would miss it! haha!  Saturday we were at the branch in Capesterre for all three sessions.  They were all in French for us because the internet was too slow to have more than stream going.  I actually took a ton of notes. The 70's were hard to understand because they talk really fast and the translators were dying to catch up to them haha, which meant I understood very little.  But I did love the ones I understood.  The Sister's talk about the sacrament was actually really, really good.  The Sunday session we went up to Abymes where everybody else on the island was for conference. We got to watch that in English, but we couldn't go anywhere to eat between sessions because it was Sunday and none of the missionary apartments near by had enough food for all the missionaries haha.  I loved conference.  Some themes I noticed were sustaining the prophet, revelation (I LOVED Elder Eyring's talks), and the Sacrament.  What did you notice?

I did enjoy Elder Bednar's talk to the non-members.  At this moment I am not sure who came to the Sunday session, they would have gone to the Capesterre building, so I don't know if we had any investigators there. Ferdinand would have been the only one to have made it I think.

Yes, I saw the missionary choir at the priesthood session.  I made a comment to the others that I bet there were some moms frantically searching the choir for their son to show up on TV.

I think I know what Noni fruit is, but it's probably called something else in French.   I have never eaten it, but if we find them, the missionaries throw them at each other sometimes haha!  In Guyane I stuffed one down Elder Fraley's shirt during our volleyball night.  He showered a lot that night.
Jordan and I were talking the other night about some of the foods he ate in Mexico.  He ate some pretty awful stuff!  But the only thing he refused to eat was a fruit called Noni.  He said it smelled and tasted like vomit.

I did get your letter, so I guess the mail system works!

This week was great with General Conference!  During the week we didn't get too much time to work, which was a little frustrating.  We had to drive up to Baie-Mahault on Tuesday to get our car fixed after our district meeting.  They said that they couldn't do it until Wednesday, so we had to drive all the way back down to Capesterre to go to CEP (PEC in English?) and that was the whole day other than studies.  So early Wednesday morning we got up and drove back up to have it fixed.  We had to  walk 30 min. to the Baie-Mahault apartment to study for most the day while we waited.  Then we walked back when they called us and they hadn't really fixed anything in that time. Friday was the only day we got of full working.  We did some service for a sister, we had to pull all the vines off her flowers.  There were a ton of vines.  Then we visited a recent convert lady, Sr. Agnes.  We talked about temple work with her because a family member died recently and soon she'll be able to go to the temple for herself.  The rest of the day was studies and contacting because the rest of the our appointments fell through.  It was the first real time that I went contacting, it felt strange.  But I felt like I was getting some work done.

The highlight of the week was easily General Conference.  My studies too.  I have been having some pretty good studies.  I bought a binder to put all my notes in, I get too OCD about my notes being out of order and I can't find them, but now I can write whatever, whenever, and move the pages around, its the best.  I love studying the gospel now!  Also there was that talk in General Conference from Elder Scott about family home evenings. I want to have some awesome family home evenings when I get back.  So I am pretty excited about that.

I keep trying to write handwritten letters to send to you that talk more in depth about what happens and whats going on with me.  I have started maybe 5 of them, but I can never finish them.  One of these times I'll get one to you!  They keep getting out of date by the time I can finish them.

Well I love you a lot!
Have a great week!
avec amour,
Elder Call

No comments:

Post a Comment